Made in the 80s

This weekend I will go from my 20s into my 30s.  I'd be lying if I said I hadn't freaked out about it a bit, this seems to be a common feeling among those I've spoken to who've already hit the big 3-0.

I was born in 1982.  The media, more and more recently, is drawing comparisons with life then and life now.  So what happened in 1982?

Unemployment hit a post war high. Unemployment now is at a high, we seem to have come full circle, hopefully things will look up but at the moment, for many, it is hard to keep positive.

The Falklands war broke out.  In 2012 there is again trouble around the Falklands.  People are said to be angered that Prince William, who was also born in 1982, has been posted there as part of his RAF role.

Train workers took part in strikes in 1982.  I went to an exhibiton last year about strikes in Liverpool in 1911.  It made me think about how all that time has passed but in some ways the world has not really changed.  People will always strike, but whether it makes a difference remains to be seen.

The first CDs were released in Germany in 1982. Now, CDs are being phased out(although I must confess I still buy them, must be old skool), and replaced by digital music.  The music industry has changed beyond all comprehension and people have more wide ranging musical tastes than ever before.

So, who came into the world in 1982?
Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge
Caleb Followill, Singer Kings of Leon
Thora Birch, actress
Kelly Clarkson, singer
Kirsten Dunst, actress
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge
Anna Paquin, actress
Billie Piper, actress
Matt Smith, actor

And me.  Poetess, Girlfriend, Sister, and Auntie...

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts