Balancing Act

Looking out of my window, Carrie Bradshaw-esque, the sun is shining on the tree opposite highlighting the red brick of the houses.  It's beautiful.  I've been a bit under the weather recently, nothing major - just badly blocked ears, which have been making me feel sick and dizzy, and messing up my balance- but enough to make me stop and think.

Since my week off around a month ago(see last blog post) I've been doing increasingly long days.  Last Wednesday I left the house at 7.30am and got in around ten to seven pm.  Then I had to eat, ring my Mum(mustering up the energy to sing Happy Birthday down the phone) and do my normal domestic goddess duties.

I know for many people that is a regular occurence - for me recently it has been fairly infrequent, but regular enough to register on my radar- but to me that means my work/life balance is all off.  My career is important to me, but more important in my list of priorities is family, friends, health and happiness.  A lot of people would pride themselves on just how many hours they can fit into their working week.  But with an hour commute each way, as my flexi credit balance continues to rise, alarm bells start to sound in my head.

A few years ago I was a completely different person, afraid to say no to too many projects, so keen to do and learn more, I burnt out completely - mentally and physically.  These days I don't let myself get to that stage.  I have learnt that putting my foot down and explaining politely that a request to take on even more is unreasonable, that people actually respect you more if you not only set boundaries, but stick to them.

So on my (1) day sick - this is me we're talking about - I watched some daytime TV, lay on my bed and read, and thought long and hard about how I was starting to neglect my body.  I love my job and the people I work with, it pays the bills and gives me a lifestyle I enjoy.  It means I can do the writing in my own time which I live and breathe.  But without my health I would have nothing.  While I am waiting to get my ears sorted(in a week) I am starting to feel better, and while working hard, not flogging myself anymore.

It's a balancing act, but I'm getting there...

Comments

Popular Posts